To break dormancy, thio-urea (1%) and the combination of thio-urea (1%) + potassium nitrate (2%) were applied as single sprays on two peach cultivars and one nectarine cultivar in Turkey. Both treatments showed an increase in yield in each cultivar compared to the control and affected the fruit quality positively and increased fruit size. When sprayed together in nectarine (cv. Weinberger), thio-urea 1% and potassium nitrate 2% resulted in statistically significantly greater yield than the control treatment or thio-urea 1% alone, and a side effect was two days earlier ripening and harvesting (Figure 1).
Figure 1. The effects of thio-urea and KNO₃ + thio-urea applications on the yield of Nectarine (cv. Weinberger).
Kuden, A. B., A. Kuden, and N. Kaska. 1993. The effects of thio-urea and potassium nitrate+ thio-urea treatments on the release from dormancy of peaches and nectarines. Acta Horticulturae IV International Symposium on Growing Temperate Zone Fruits in the Tropics and in the Subtropics 409: 133-136.